





I guess if you wern't in the car when it happened, it might not look that bad. I don't have any pictures of the car flipped over in the ditch, but that was a frighteningly surreal sight. The roof is caved in RIGHT over my head... I'm pretty sure the seatbelt saved my life.
I have to say this is by far the scariest thing that I have ever personally gone through. Getting out of the car and then seeing the two car seats hanging upside down all I could do was thank God they wern't in the car with me.
Unfortunately the insurance company is taking a while to get back with us on the status of the claim. Since I swerved to avoid contact, I am placed at fault for the accident as far as the insurance company is concerned, although the police report does not place me at fault. Believe it or not, they are actually considering trying to repair this car rather than totalling it. How safe can a car be when they have to cut the roof off and weld on a new one? If they fix it, we'll be getting rid of it ASAP. Makes you think twice about buying a used car dosen't it? Would you want to buy a car that looked like this just a few months before you purchased it? How functional do you think the safety features will be?
We are going to really push for them to total this vehicle if they don't decide to do so on their own. We looked yesterday at buying a new car. I think we are going to go the hybrid route and get a Prius. We don't really know at this point what we will be able to afford, because typically when cars get totalled they don't wind up giving you the entire loan amount back, which means we are most likely upside down in the cost of the car and will have to come up with money to pay off that loan first.
As for the person who caused this and drove away - there were no other cars on our side of the highway - so nobody got a license plate number or a description of the car. It was dark, so from the other side of the road, across the ditch, they couldn't really tell what was going on. I suppose their conscience (if they have one, which I doubt)will have to be their punishment. The only description I can give of the car is that it was black with darkly tinted windows and chrome trim on the door. That's all I saw. The rest is a blur.

6 comments:
I hate to tell you but alot of times they dont even weld on the roof it is pretty much glued on. but the stuff is really strong and you cant break it apart. It is hard to get the insurance to total a car. Not to be noisy but what is your insurance co? Some compnays are better at totaling and paying more for it. Also if you do have to fix it, I believe it is state law in Florida to get depreciation for the fixed car, so dont trade it off until you get that first. I do work in a bodyshop so if you have any questions just let me know, I do this stuff everyday. O forgot to tell you, you have to ask to get paid for the carseats they usually dont offer it out.
I hope they total it for you. We bought that GAP insurance ($500 add on) with our van however never have had a need for it yet. After being hit 3 times in our old car, we wanted to make sure we were protected if it was ever totaled.
It must be a pretty decent car for the limited amount of damage done! Some cars would just fold in that situation but this one looks like it held up great, except for the roof of course. lol So glad you are ok though. I'm sure you'll be shaken by this for awhile.
So glad that you are ok...I think like Sabrina said..it must just be a good car to not show any more damage. I can't imagine how frightening it would be to flip upside down in a car. I'm so sorry it happened to you. Definetly don't forget to get those carseats replaced. ((((Hugs))))
scary photos! I am just so thankful you are okay and can post about it! love and hugs sweetie!
yikes...how scary for you!! Man! I remember that shaky feeling...I got into an accident when I was 7 months pregnant with Sam...a lady pulled out right in front of us...nad BAM...it had totaled my Corolla (almost new)...and I wound up scared about Sam. I am so thankful as well that the kids weren't in the car! Glad you are only sore, and not in a hospital somewhere! I will be praying for you....and it DOES make me think about buying used!
I agree with you, I totally thought it would be worse. I hope the insurance will hurry up and make up their mind about things. How are you doing?
Post a Comment